Rig: De-rigged during its working life
Twee Artsen (two doctors) was built as a single mast klipperaak by the brothers Appelo at Zwartsluis, Holland in 1906. Klipperaark barges were known as the ‘poor-man’s klipper’ because the lacked the wheel steering and elegant counter-stern of the faster sea-going klippers. As with many Dutch sailing barges she was de-rigged during her working life, and an engine and wheelhouse installed. She was also lengthened to increase cargo carrying capacity. She carried a variety of loose cargo, such as grain, potatoes and gravel. Her last commercial voyage was made in the late 1970’s. Since conversion to a residential boat she has cruised extensively in Europe and has been permanently based in London since 2002. Two of the more recent owners were a husband and wife pair of doctors, who gave the barge its current name.