Type: Humber Barge
Selby Ellen is one of a generation of small motor barges that gradually replaced the sailing Keels and Sloops of the Humber after the Second World War. Built by Richard Dunstan’s yard at Thorne in 1954 along similar lines to the first steam powered cargo barges, she is fitted with a Lister 6 cylinder engine and had a cargo capacity of 250 tonnes.
She was built for the barge fleet owned by the British Oil and Cake Mills at Selby. She finished her working life as part of the Humber Barge Company’s commercial fleet carrying fertiliser and general cargoes between Rampton and Leeds.
She could be seen loading aggregates in the company’s distinctive tan and yellow livery up until 2003 and was sold for conversion to residential use in 2004 before being brought to London in 2009.