Following on from the contribution to the successful activities of the Activity Centre in 2017 & 2018 Hermitage River Projects contributed another grant to support the programme at the centre in Shadwell, located just a mile downstream from Hermitage.
The aim is to deliver a summer programme of Outdoor and Adventure Sports to young people at affordable rates. There were 144 young people involved in 2019, between the ages of 9 and 18, involving 100 hours of activities over 4 weeks, covering the following: kayaking, canoeing, sailing, bell boating, raft building, climbing, high ropes, rowing, orienteering, mountain biking and camp-craft. Six newly qualifies youth coaches were taken on, six paid coaches received employment and one project co-ordinator received employment.
The activities were used to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide an integrated programme of positive outdoor and adventure spots activities for the summer for young people
- To use the activities as a catalyst to bring together young people from different backgrounds
- To use the activities as a vehicle for learning and accreditation
- To generate a programme of fun and healthy activities
- To provide opportunities for trainee coach volunteering
Feedback from the young participants show high levels of enjoyment and positive outcomes.